I can never get enough of sweet holiday treats, and fun ways to make them feel extra special! These stackable Christmas tree cookies are perfect for a holiday party, or for a cozy day at home with the kiddos!
+ Your favorite sugar cookie dough recipe +
+ Star cookie cutters of various sizes +
+ A nonstick baking sheet +
+ Icing or sprinkles to decorate +
+ 3 cups all purpose flour +
+ 1 cup unsalted butter +
+ 3/4 teaspoon baking powder +
+ 1 cup sugar +
+ 1/4 teaspoon salt +
+ 1 egg (whisked) +
+ Powdered sugar for rolling dough +
+ 1 tablespoon milk +
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Place butter and sugar in large bowl of electric stand mixer and beat until light in color.
If you need a smaller bowl for ingredients this festive red and white striped bowl is perfect!
3. Add egg and milk and beat to combine.
4. Put mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, and beat until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl.
5. Divide the dough in half, wrap in waxed paper, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
6. Sprinkle surface where you will roll out dough with powdered sugar.
7. Remove 1 wrapped pack of dough from refrigerator at a time, sprinkle rolling pin with powdered sugar, and roll out dough to 1/4-inch thick.
Move the dough around and check underneath frequently to make sure it is not sticking. If dough has warmed during rolling, place cold cookie sheet on top for 10 minutes to chill.
8. Cut into desired shape (this is where you will want a variety of star shapes), place at least 1-inch apart on greased baking sheet, parchment, or silicone baking mat, and bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are just beginning to turn brown around the edges, rotating cookie sheet halfway through baking time.
9. Let cool on wire rack.
10. Once completely cooled ice sugar cookies.
For snowy trees stick with white, if you want a traditional looking tree you can ice with green.
11. Stack stars with largest on bottom and smallest on top, secure with icing. Add sprinkles if you’d like!
Stackable Christmas tree cookies are so pretty to set out on a dessert table or with a hot cocoa bar cookie display!
Have so much fun making these your own. I can not wait to see your fun stackable Christmas tree cookies and hot cocoa bars! Don’t forget to tag me!!