slow down.

Slowing down.
On my birthday when Chris and I had the day to ourselves I took a lot of time to read.reflect.think.
I was thinking about life and how we all (or atleast I) seem to be rushing through it. Are we just throwing it all away? What am I missing?
I was thinking about all of the things that make me happy….the interesting thing is it is mostly the little things…

opening a fresh tube of paint
hearing my feet pound the pavement on a jog
watching Aiden learn something for the first time
picking a fresh piece of fruit off a tree and eating it
playing the stereo loud as we clean the kitchen
Ainsleigh’s giggles
the smell of my kiddos when they are out of the bath and in their jammies
the way the floors creek in the middle of the night
the way Christopher smiles at me
are we missing out on those as we “rush” through our days?
I came away thinking I just need to slllllooowwwww down. I am moving way too fast.
It’s okay to say “no” more and to not get everything done.

Notice the little things.
Give thanks.

Once a day I thank God for my sight. I am not joking…….. something so small that we probably all take for granted…..Can you imagine? Not being able to SEE?

You know when we better ourselves it is a gift to our spouses and kids. We are better friends.

You know choosing the gospel is dying to who we were before.
There absolutely should be a transformation.

Something that has helped me in areas I struggle in is to just PAUSE. If Aiden is in the middle of a full blown meltdown, instead of just reacting…I will freeze time for a moment in my mind.
In 20 minutes how will I wish that I reacted?
Fruit of the spirit here….gentleness, patience….

Okay, unfreeze.

It helps.

Then I imagine after years of doing this in all situations, it starts to become who we truly are.
It gets easier. I think?

June 27, 2011

1. ohyouprettythings

June 27th, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Such a beautiful and thoughtful post! :] I feel inspired whenever I read your blog! So thank you! I hope you had an amazing birthday! :]

2. Shannon

June 27th, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I've been following your blog for a few weeks. I can absolutely relate to your feelings expressed in this post. This was just what I needed to read today!

3. Amy

June 27th, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Thank you for the beautiful words, "You know choosing the gospel is dying to who we were before. There absolutely should be a transformation."
    …And thank you for an all around inspirational blog. Happy Birthday!

4. Danielle

June 27th, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Such a good idea to stop and think…how would I want to have reacted 20 minutes from now. I've got to start doing this! I don't want to feel guilty 20 minutes later after I've over reacted to one of the crazy kids πŸ™‚
    / @mysugarblossom

5. monster cakes

June 27th, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Have you been reading One Thousand Gifts? If not, I bet you'd love it. It's been making me rethink the way I view life and thankful for every tiny thing. : )

6. Libby's Life

June 27th, 2011 at 11:31 pm

You are so amazingly beautiful! Every single post you write… you always get me to think about something or realize something! You truly are a wonderful person. Beautiful on the inside and outside! You are a blessing in my life even if I am just reading your post and having never actually talked to you or had any contact with you or that you even know who I am. But thank you for being you and being so insightful and blessing me with your beautiful words every.single.day! So thank you again for being you. I love hearing/reading them! I can't imagine my life without your words every day anymore! I need your words! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!
    Libby πŸ™‚ libbylifeblog.blogspot.com

{I've used a ton of exclamation points in this comment but they just seemed fitting. Sorry for rambling also.}

7. LeeAnn, Chris & Preston Trevino

June 27th, 2011 at 11:42 pm

So true.
    What camera do you use, your pics are beautiful.

8. Julie @ My Life...Inspired

June 28th, 2011 at 12:06 am

This is so very true and we definitely need to tell ourselves this more often. Thanks for this today, I will now be reminding myself to slow down over and over again!

9. Jos @ Organized Chaos

June 28th, 2011 at 12:33 am

As a new follower, I am thankful for your reflective posts that include faith and the importance of God in our lives. Thank you so much. I needed this today.

10. Simplistic Beauty

June 28th, 2011 at 12:47 am

Love this post so true! Ya we never thank God for the simple things in life, like seeing! I am going to start doing that! I love you blog! I am a new follower I just started my own a month ago! I hope you check it out!

11. Cindy Swanson

June 28th, 2011 at 12:59 am

You're absolutely right, Casey. We need to do this "intentionally," as they say, right?

I've fallen in love with your blog since discovering it this past weekend. How awesome to find out that you and I share a faith!

Oh and by the way, should you need some extra $$$, each of you (including Christopher) is beautiful enough to do some modeling! πŸ™‚ Just sayin'.

Blessings,

Cindy at Notes in the Key of Life

12. stephanie joy

June 28th, 2011 at 1:10 am

lovely, lovely post…
    and just what i needed this evening.
    thanks so much!

13. Christie

June 28th, 2011 at 1:51 am

Loved this! What a great reminder!

14. Megan

June 28th, 2011 at 2:24 am

Oh how I wish we could freeze time! Littles grow too fast and too many things are missed!Thanks for sharing!

15. Jessi

June 28th, 2011 at 2:30 am

Thank you for this. It gave me pause. I was actually thinking about it tonight while I was trying to rush my son to bed because he was being just a little bit fussy. But then I stopped to take in the sweet moment with my baby who will be a day older tomorrow.

16. larissa

June 28th, 2011 at 2:46 am

I love your words. They're so inspiring. "In 20 minutes how will I wish I would have acted?" So true. I should have already know that, but thank you for making it so apparent.

17. Emily Kate

June 28th, 2011 at 2:53 am

LOVE this reminder to stop and smell the roses..before they grow up.;)

18. Rissy

June 28th, 2011 at 3:00 am

those eyes! in that second picture… they would make me stop and think.

it really is the little things.

love coming to your blog for a daily doss of inspiration!

CarissaExplainsItAll

19. Sarah Brashier

June 28th, 2011 at 3:03 am

I am also reading the book One Thousand Gifts – your post today goes right along with it. Thank you for sharing with us! I have never commented before on your post, but I want you to know I love reading it! I love your artwork as well…tons of inspiration for me – I paint as well.www.brashierfamily.blogspot.com
    Thanks for your inspiration!

20. Amanda

June 28th, 2011 at 3:27 am

this is such a sweet post! i always try to stop and take in all the little things. it makes everyday special!

21. ilene @ muchloveilly

June 28th, 2011 at 3:54 am

you are so right. it's the little things that matter. can't forget those. πŸ™‚

22. Kirsten @ Triple Max Tons

June 28th, 2011 at 4:03 am

What a thoughtful post…this last couple of weeks has been a total whirlwind, and I am guilty of saying I just wish I could fast forward. You are right though. You can never get those moments or time back, and slowing down is exactly what I need to do. Thanks!

23. Chelsea

June 28th, 2011 at 4:03 am

This post was so beautifully and eloquently written and went perfectly with the soft music that started to play as I read along. Thank you for this simple reminder to all of us. I'm so grateful for these senses that I have… being able to see, hear, smell, touch, taste for they help make this life all the more beautiful.

24. alicia

June 28th, 2011 at 4:04 am

casey, you are such a beautiful person, your blog is inspiring. Thank you for sharing your life with us everyday.

25. Alicia

June 28th, 2011 at 4:22 am

Hi. I know exactly what you are saying. This has been a big struggle for me for sometime now. I need to learn to slow down. πŸ™‚

June 28th, 2011 at 4:41 am

Love this post Casey. I often think this as well. I look at my 2 little girls and think "STOP GROWING UP!!". My 20 month old learns new things all the time and I love seeing her expressions and wish I could just pause time when that happens.
    Thanks for this post.

27. Pamela Stein

June 28th, 2011 at 5:02 am

I love this post… not only life seems to go by quicker, but there are also so many more distractions that it seems harder to focus on the things that really matter and to be thankful for those gifts that we get to enjoy every day… our families, kiddies, health, bread on our table. Thanks for the sweet reminder =D Many many blessings!

xoxoxo

Pamela at http://www.bleucloud.blogspot.com (this is my newborn blog! =)

28. Natalia Lynn

June 28th, 2011 at 5:10 am

So agreed! People in American especially are always going so fast! We need to slow down and take it all in… there is so much out there!

29. Dani

June 28th, 2011 at 5:43 am

I'm in this state of mind too!!! Thanks for sharing!

30. Tahnie

June 28th, 2011 at 5:51 am

i give thanks every day for my sight too. some of the adults with my disease gave gone blind due to crystals piercing their cornea. i'm grateful every single MINUTE for my eye sight.

xo.

June 28th, 2011 at 7:22 am

I love this post. I hate how fast time goes… even the days just seem to slip right through my fingers. It is so important that we purpose to really live each day with our littles.

32. Elise Davis

June 28th, 2011 at 11:43 am

beautiful post (as usual!) Casey!
    Reading it while sitting on the beach in Thailand at Sunset – a really amazing pairing, your words and the view – you. are. amazing! Thank YOU!
    Much much Love and Big Hugs!!!
    Xoxo

33. Marie

June 28th, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I'm so with you on this one. I think life gets away with us so often and we miss out on things. Or sometimes (also amidst a meltdown from Lincoln in the grocery store) I wish him to be older and not doing this but I hate it when I do that because I really do enjoy the here and now EVEN with his temper tantrums….I love that you said the fruits of the spirit for those times, I'm going to start doing that. So we REALLY need to meet someday πŸ™‚ Just sayin'

June 28th, 2011 at 1:14 pm

you are precious. love your heart and love you dear friend πŸ™‚

June 28th, 2011 at 1:39 pm

so true. i need to become better at slowing down and giving thanks. i seem to just be going with the craziness of life at an excellerated pace lately. and its not what i want.
    thank you for this encouragement and reminder.

((HUGS)) as always!

June 28th, 2011 at 1:39 pm

thank you for this encouragement and reminder.

((HUGS)) as always!

37. Sarah B.

June 28th, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Good reminder!! Especially as I've just rushed through my morning hours :). Slowing down and having a grateful heart – I'll be working on it with God's help!

38. Mara and Jae

June 28th, 2011 at 1:59 pm

that first picture is absolutely precious. love it.

39. theolivetree

June 28th, 2011 at 2:13 pm

very true! I too like to turn the radio really loud as we clean the kitchen πŸ™‚

40. amy D

June 28th, 2011 at 2:20 pm

i love the idea of pausing to ask "in 20 minutes how will i wish that i reacted?" i really struggle with patience…now if i can just remember in the heat of the moment to ask myself this πŸ™‚

41. cami

June 28th, 2011 at 2:41 pm

beautifully put. You are wise beyond your years lovely lady! I needed this post today. Thank you!

42. Nikki

June 28th, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Good words! I've found, that in difficult circumstances, if you can't give thanks and praise God for the little things, then you don't appreciate the big things he brings into your life later. Sort of like the principle of Matt 25:21
    being faithful and appreciative of the few things before HE puts us in charge of many. So glad I read your post this morning!

43. Shelley

June 28th, 2011 at 3:06 pm

beautiful pictures Casey ! Having a 2nd child later in life has really slowed me down in a good way…i just cherish each and every moment with him.

44. Toni

June 28th, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Great Post, your pictures are beautiful!!!

I am having a Baby ruffle legs give a way on my blog!!! Come enter!

alwayshavejoy.blogspot.com

45. Christa

June 28th, 2011 at 3:33 pm

LOVE your blog! im your newest stalker πŸ™‚

46. Ariel @ Dreams To Do

June 28th, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Beautiful post! So, I am pretty much in love with your blog and family – I just discovered you! I needed to read your post today. I have been stuggling with my almost 2 year old's tantrums, so I am going to try to just stop and really think before I react next time. Life is too short and precious!

47. Changing Lanes

June 28th, 2011 at 5:17 pm

what i wanted to comment on is all of that hair on A's head…Mary Mac's is growing in too! fin.al.ly! πŸ™‚

June 28th, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I'm a new follower. πŸ™‚

This post is so very true, and I'm sure many can relate! Slowing down isn't too popular nowadays, but it so important, and can be realized as important if we did it more!

49. Briana Rose

June 28th, 2011 at 6:09 pm

How amazing is this thought..and your photos! Check out my blog for an award πŸ™‚

Just Happy… @ tylerandbrianastafford.blogspot.com

50. kelly

June 28th, 2011 at 6:57 pm

oh beautiful words! thanks for the reminder πŸ™‚

51. Heather :: AFD Jewelry ::

June 28th, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Beautiful, as always!

52. pakosta

June 28th, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I love this, focus on the little things. Kind of like the book I am reading right now: ONE THOUSAND GIFTS>….

53. Jami

June 28th, 2011 at 9:27 pm

So wise my friend! With 4 kids I often feel like I'm rushing. But I am thankful for every moment because tomorrow is not promised. And yes, it's ok to "say no"! πŸ˜‰ LOVE YOU!

June 29th, 2011 at 1:35 am

Love your blog! You inspire me and remind me to enjoy life! =)

55. SavedthruLove

June 29th, 2011 at 8:07 am

so so beautiful. I love the pause and allowing the fruit of the spirit to take control of those trying situations. Your a great encouragement and your family is too attractive to exist. You guys should go into family modeling :). For Christ only of course. blessings chica

β™₯cheche

56. JunajoyCreations

June 30th, 2011 at 4:09 pm

You are amazing Casey!! Love your blog!!

57. ashley @ little miss momma

July 2nd, 2011 at 5:49 am

every day i like you even more–didn't know that was even possible! please move here and be my neighbor and bff. we could concur the world together, yes? xoxo, ash

Β© CaseyLeigh 2019  |  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED  |