let them create.

So, I love things to be clean. I first noticed my hand gripped on this need to control and keep things in order when I began teaching art at a school right out of college. Being an art teacher for kids age 3- 5th grade will change you…or begin to anyway. Somewhere between the spilling water and cut paper pieces everywhere I saw myself beginning to loosen. The kids would enter the room, twinkle lights flickering and soft music playing…. I would attempt to set the tone for the day but as it goes with all children and kids in a good environment to create you have to balance a bit.

Then before Aiden was born, when we first opened A Little Artsy, I was teaching from 8am-7pm and running the artsy parties on the weekends (even Sundays). Oh and Art Parties will take your need to control and keep things clean to a whole new level by the way. I think it might have been the day we had a child attempt to flush his shoe down the toilet during one of the parties and completely flood our studio that all of what was left just rode the wave straight out the door.

We laughed. I changed a lot, and now 8 years later as a mama I am forever grateful for that season. I want my kids to create. I want them to cut and glue and paint and draw. I want them to feed themselves no matter how messy and I want them to feel free to explore their creativity.

Beauty Matters.

Art matters.
Creating matters.

Chris and I often talk about creating art. His art comes through film, a lens, telling a story. Beauty can come in so many different ways but it’s so important. And I want our kids to appreciate and see beauty…I want them to have the freedom to create it.

I haven’t painted in months. Something that has been a passion, a beautiful outlet, a story for me for so long has slowly drifted. I know it is this season… I know that someday my office will be filled with the sweet smell of fresh oil paint and I will have my emotions spilled back out onto a canvas just like it was in my yesterdays. Dreams don’t have to die, passions don’t have to end…they can just pause for a bit. Or even change. Photography today is my painting yesterday.

Creating with them is my new today.

But all the same…. creating is a beautiful thing. A gift to the world and a gift to yourself.
I hope my babies always hold on to that.

photo LINKUPBUTTON.jpg

March 7, 2014

1. Franchesca

March 7th, 2014 at 5:27 am

Yes!!! I absolutely agree. The dreams pause for a bit.

2. CaseyWiegand

March 7th, 2014 at 2:31 pm

🙂 love you friend

3. Nay

March 7th, 2014 at 5:31 am

Such a beautifully written post. I love seeing children create. My daughter has taken after me by writing-her memories, little stories. My son's art comes through his abstract drawing. It is truly a marvel to see their creativity unfold.

4. CaseyWiegand

March 7th, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I so agree with you friend!!

5. Katie Cook

March 7th, 2014 at 5:42 am

I LOVE the freedom and creativity you give as a gift to your children:) It is so beautiful Casey!!

6. CaseyWiegand

March 7th, 2014 at 2:30 pm

aw that means so so much to me!!!

March 7th, 2014 at 5:47 am

As a Momma, I have totally changed, too. If you want to truly enjoy your kiddos, you have to loosen up. It's so hard, but so rewarding. I love this post. Such beauty in your pictures and your words. xo

8. CaseyWiegand

March 7th, 2014 at 2:30 pm

aw thank you so much love!!

9. Ruth@GraceLaced

March 7th, 2014 at 5:58 am

Can we talk about painting and art when we meet at Hope Spoken? I don't know if we will have some time to do so, but I'd love to chat about it. I'm only now returning to it as a regular thing….after almost 12 years of motherhood. I love that now I do all my orders and custom paintings with the littles painting right alongside me. There is a season for everything.

10. CaseyWiegand

March 7th, 2014 at 2:30 pm

ahhhh YES!!!!! Can we please?!?! this will make my whole day!!!

11. Jane

March 7th, 2014 at 6:43 am

So well said. It's a beautiful post. I used to feel the same way until my kiddos came along. Now we just try to enjoy the moment because things can be cleaned up later but the moment doesnt last.

12. CaseyWiegand

March 7th, 2014 at 2:29 pm

yes! amen sister!

13. TOI

March 7th, 2014 at 10:45 am

Beautiful picture, i would name it step into art :).

I create stories with words but lately I drifting more towards telling stories through photography. My daughter loves both so, although she is still little, I let her explore her creativity by giving her a pen and a book to write in and also my old camera which is light and she can experience photography first hand. She enjoys it and I like to see her creative mind.

14. CaseyWiegand

March 7th, 2014 at 2:29 pm

oh I adore this friend!

15. Sweet Love and Ginger

March 7th, 2014 at 12:32 pm

So true, and well written, as always!

16. CaseyWiegand

March 7th, 2014 at 2:29 pm

aw thank you love!

17. Dori Schelhammer

March 7th, 2014 at 2:04 pm

The fun of play doh did it for me! My kiddos played with it for hours, mixing the colors and creating their art.

18. CaseyWiegand

March 7th, 2014 at 11:56 pm

the best!!!!

19. Ann

March 7th, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Really wish you would post some of your paintings at intervals on the blog. I would love to see your work more often…we so rarely see it!

20. CaseyWiegand

March 7th, 2014 at 11:56 pm

awww this actually means a lot to me, thank you for saying this! I need to do this!

21. Sherri

March 7th, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Casey- do you still have your studio/shop "A Little Artsy?" I haven't heard you mention it until today. I don't know how you'd find time to teach with three little ones, your blog, your writing, etc.
    "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." Ecc.3:1 You are one of God's children that puts her entire being into whatever you do, and you seem to do it all so well.

22. CaseyWiegand

March 7th, 2014 at 11:59 pm

awww you are so kind friend! We actually don't have it right now :(. We decided to move it to a school I guess over a year ago now and just decided we just take it one season at a time!!

March 7th, 2014 at 4:54 pm

PS — I didn't mean that you need to loosen up at all! I thought maybe that came across wrong. I was speaking for myself! I think you're a fabulous, sweet, beautiful, and incredibly talented Momma!! xo

24. CaseyWiegand

March 7th, 2014 at 11:57 pm

oh my goodness I didnt take it that way at all, you are soooo so so sweet and precious!!!!! made me smile!

25. Jenna Guizar

March 7th, 2014 at 7:24 pm

I love this, Casey. Yet again you remind me that motherhood doesn't "end" certain things in your life — yes, circumstances may cause things to pause and take a breath, but the "you" is always there, evolving, growing and becoming something better. I appreciate your words. Lovely. ~Jenna // A Mama Collective

26. Sarah Moore

March 7th, 2014 at 9:44 pm

This is a beautiful sentiment, and one I much needed to hear right now. I'm two months from having my second child, and find myself wondering nonstop how it's going to change me and affect my ability to keep creating the way I want to. Especially since my career isn't even close to where I'd like it to be, and my free time already feels pinched. How do you keep your creativity and dreams alive in your heart while being the best mama you can be … which will always come first? These are questions I ponder, but one solution is to read the inspiring thoughts of other artists. Thank you.

March 8th, 2014 at 2:47 pm

What a beautiful post, Casey… Isn't it amazing how God uses our experiences, like teaching school and raising children, to expose us and heal us, to set us free from the ways we control and do life. I can so relate since I was once a Kindergarten and First Grade teacher and now have two children of my own. I've changed a lot over the years as well… much has been lightened and loosened in me and I'm very grateful.

Thank you for giving us the chance to link up to your beautiful blog… Blessings to you and your adorable family! (By the way, I love following you on Instagram… such gorgeous, sweet photos!)

March 8th, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Such a beautiful post, Casey… Isn't it amazing how God uses our experiences, like teaching school and raising children, to expose us and heal us from the ways we control and do life. I can so relate since I was once a Kindergarten and First Grade teacher and now have two children of my own. Much has been lightened and loosened in my heart over the years and I'm so grateful.

Thank you for giving us the chance to link up to your post. Blessings on you and your adorable family… I love following you on Instagram… such gorgeous and sweet photos!

29. Lauren Lifeimagined

March 10th, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Thanks for sharing this lesson. I haven't lived this lesson yet and hope to learn without experiencing for once!
    My boys love to create. I need to find a place in our home for it to be always available to them.

30. Andrea {Yesterday's Tomorrow}

March 10th, 2014 at 11:53 pm

This is beautiful. I also feel a great need for order and tidiness, I don't have any babies yet but I hope when the time comes, I'll be able to let go of it and make a beautiful mess with them too. Thank you for your thoughts and words, you can only imagine the impact it has on someone struggling silently with the same worries, needs and wants.

31. A Silver Snapshot

March 12th, 2014 at 12:18 am

This is beautiful, Casey. Thanks for sharing not only this window into your life, but also this inspiring message. Happy Tuesday!

Silver