the story of a girl.

Today was a complete turn of events.

I really feel like it was a miracle, so much good news all at once and today was tear filled as well but they were all happy tears.

Words can’t express the love we have felt. We had groceries left on our porch, hospital parking vouchers in our mailbox, toys and books dropped off at the hospital for Aiden, coffees dropped off at the hospital for us, cookie bouquets, people offering to drive me, people offering to babysit, tweets, texts, emails, dinners- I am just completely in awe of how people have made us feel.

Blown away. truly. And I am forever grateful.

The day started with me being dropped off at Baylor – I dropped off milk and saw Apple. At this point she was still on cPAP, still in the “most severe” wing of NICU and really “no news”. I was picked up, taken over to Children’s hospital and dropped off there. I stayed with Aiden while Chris went to the asthma class.  Chris & I were with Aiden until he finally got released in the afternoon. HE GOT TO COME HOME!

Then we got home and I called up the the NICU and Gloria (our sweet nurse who has been there everyday) said can you be here by 4:30- we have all good news? YES! The answer is YES!

So Chris &  I left the kids and drove back up to Baylor. They had taken Apple off of the cPAP and moved her to the nasal cannula. They had placed her in a regular bed and then told me that I could nurse her!

If you have read my first two NICU stories you know that they moved Aiden & Ainsleigh straight to bottles of my pumped milk and by the time they were eating good neither would nurse. So I pumped for months & months. And this devastated me.  So this was HUGE! Gloria put in an order for “no bottle feeding” so that Apple would only be able to nurse or get meals via her feeding tube.

She did FABULOUS. She opened her eyes for the first time so Chris & I felt like we were meeting her for the very first time in a way.
She never cried once- she just looked at us and was so incredibly precious.

THEN

at the end of our time her doctor said that she was going to be moved to “the south hall”. Which Chris and I know is BIG NEWS. This is like a “mini graduation”- it means shes one step closer to coming home.
Today  (Monday) is her seventh day in the NICU- T, W, TH, F, S, S, M.

All good news today. God is good. so many prayers answered. so many blessings.
so many thanks.

August 28, 2012

1. How I Roll

August 28th, 2012 at 2:40 am

Love love love love! I'm so happy to hear that your sweet baby is doing so well!

2. Laura | The Velvet Doe

August 28th, 2012 at 2:40 am

God is so good, ever faithful. So glad your prayers got answered. Bless you xx

3. ksmith

August 28th, 2012 at 2:41 am

Yay..yay..yay!!! So Happy for y'all!! Will continue praying:) God is AWESOME!!!!

4. Julie Ann

August 28th, 2012 at 2:41 am

So happy to hear what a special day you had! You are your beautiful family are in my thoughts!

xo Julie Ann

5. Carol

August 28th, 2012 at 2:42 am

You have been soooo blessed! God is good and He will make sure your precious Apple joins the entire family soon. 🙂

6. Jennifer S.

August 28th, 2012 at 2:43 am

Tears. I am so happy that sweet Apple is doing better! God is so amazing! xoxo

7. Amy Lynne

August 28th, 2012 at 2:43 am

Wow! What a great day! Blessed be!

8. French Farmgirl

August 28th, 2012 at 2:43 am

So GREAT to hear your good news! I couldn't get you off of my mind after reading your last post, so I kept praying for you all! God Bless you guys LOTS!!!

9. robyn devine

August 28th, 2012 at 2:45 am

oh, those moves through the NICU and the milestones they mean! My brother was in the NICU for 2 months, and each time he moved up a bit more we celebrated mightily!

sending love and prayers to your family – hooray for such good news today!

10. Kami

August 28th, 2012 at 2:45 am

So amazing. The power of the love shown to you in this situation gives me hope for the future of my littles. So happy in my heart to hear all this amazing news. Congrats!!!…especially on the breastfeeding. What an amazing experience.

11. tristan

August 28th, 2012 at 2:45 am

you are blessed beyond measure. <3
    praying for your and yours

12. Kirtley@ Snowdrift Designs

August 28th, 2012 at 2:46 am

Oh Casey, I'm so glad you got all good news. I hope she comes home soon. I will continue to pray for you guys!

13. Kerrie

August 28th, 2012 at 2:46 am

this is such great news!! I have tears in my eyes. What a gift to be able to nurse her 🙂

14. Katie

August 28th, 2012 at 2:47 am

Praise the LORD, for HE is GOOD! This post brought tears to my eyes!

As a fellow nursing mama, I cannot imagine the agony you must've felt having to pump exclusively for your first two babes. That being said, BRAVO!!! I'm not sure I could've done it. I cherish my nursing relationship with Maile so much … I am just over the moon for you being able to nurse Apple!

15. Natalie @ NS Pottery

August 28th, 2012 at 2:48 am

So happy for you Casey! God is good!!! Continued prayers for your sweet family.

16. Emily

August 28th, 2012 at 2:50 am

Wonderful news. Your family is wrapped in prayer.

17. Ashley Ann

August 28th, 2012 at 2:51 am

Oh you sweet thing, I am so happy to hear all this wonderfulness God is pouring down on you! My 3rd baby was almost 7 weeks early and in the NICU for 2 weeks. I never had experience with the NICU and didn't realize what a tremendous Blessing only 2 wks were. She never had jaundice, didn't need help breathing, and nursed like a champ! So SO glad you get to experience the nursing bond. There is nothing quite like it. Enjoy every precious moment. Looking forward to seeing you all at home!! Continued prayers are being sent your way. :]

18. Mrs Mason

August 28th, 2012 at 2:52 am

what a week you have had. It is so heart warming to har such stories of love and support. I am in Sydney so I can't deliver cookies, but I can send lots of love and prayers. Fingers crossed for you all x

19. Tiffany

August 28th, 2012 at 2:52 am

Thats Amazing. Praise the Lord for all of that!!!

20. Brittany T.

August 28th, 2012 at 2:53 am

oh amen sister!! sOO happy things are getting better. God is good and surely taking care of all of you! I hope little aiden feels better too, ive had asthma since i was 7 and i am 29 now..so i know all about breathing treatments and having a hard time breathing. lots of hugs and love!

21. Jessica Kiger

August 28th, 2012 at 2:55 am

Praise God this IS truly a miracle!!! I'm rejoicing and expecting total healing!!

22. amy72

August 28th, 2012 at 2:59 am

so, SO happy to read this, casey! a day of good news! and so much closer to the end of this little journey. you will be home with your darling girl in no time. x

23. Christina

August 28th, 2012 at 2:59 am

SO SO SO glad to hear all of this! God is GOOD!!

24. Kerry

August 28th, 2012 at 3:02 am

YAY!!! I love this post! I've been keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers (along with the rest of the entire internets!) and couldn't be happier. Best, best, best to you all, xoxo

25. rachael

August 28th, 2012 at 3:05 am

i'm so happy for you guys!! i know how it is to have a son with bad asthma. my son was hospitalized 5 times last fall/winter. you're lucky to have your husband!

i prayed for you guys yesterday. i prayed for your hard times and good news. this makes me super happy!

26. Jennifer Hunter

August 28th, 2012 at 3:06 am

such great news…Congrats!!

27. Jennifer Hunter

August 28th, 2012 at 3:07 am

Congratulations!!! so very happy for you!!

28. ihatepickleslikewoah

August 28th, 2012 at 3:09 am

Big tears. We lost our son, Levee in October & our daughter Meadow 8 weeks ago. I found your blog in between and have read every word. To see how much you love (& like!) your babies just means SO much to me. The way you speak is like a carbon copy of my heart. We have a precious 2 year old, Willow, and I just know she & your A's would be bffs 😉 xo

29. Katlyn Larson

August 28th, 2012 at 3:10 am

Yayyy! I have been thinking about you guys non stop and am so glad that God has been answering our prayers! It's a good day! 🙂

Katlyn

30. Erika

August 28th, 2012 at 3:11 am

Yay! I just read your post from Sunday, and it made me cry. I cannot imagine going through all of the emotions from a traumatic birth, and then having to deal with two very sick children. Thankfully – it sounds like everything is getting better!! Fingers crossed for a good week ahead.

31. Megan Bailey

August 28th, 2012 at 3:11 am

The first photo melts my heart. I'm slightly partcial to daddy/daughter pictures because my dad is currently battling cancer. They mean so much!

32. Aimee

August 28th, 2012 at 3:17 am

Praise the Lord! Over the moon happy for you tonight. My heart was so burdened for you last night and you all have been on my mind all day. Thank you for taking the time to update.

August 28th, 2012 at 3:19 am

I'm so glad you got to see God work DIRECTLY in your life! What a blessing. I love you sister.
    Paige Whitley

34. B

August 28th, 2012 at 3:21 am

SO happy to hear! Go baby Apple, GO! & Thank God for His faithfulness and for providing for you and your family… what a blessed story, Casey 🙂 happy for you! & so glad to hear that Aiden is home!

August 28th, 2012 at 3:22 am

God Bless you and your beautiful family. xo

36. BethAnn

August 28th, 2012 at 3:38 am

The power of prayer is a beautiful thing, wouldn't you say?
    God bless!

37. Lark

August 28th, 2012 at 3:42 am

this is wonderful news!!! so happy to hear sweet apple is doing better! and that is the sweetest photo of her and chris.

-lark, constantlylovestruck.blogspot.com

38. Meagan

August 28th, 2012 at 3:46 am

This made me SO happy to read! Such good news 🙂 thinking of you guys!

39. Mya Bruce Designs

August 28th, 2012 at 3:48 am

so ecstatic for you guys! major praise. major prayers coming. So awesome!
    hugs
    -Leah

40. Mya Bruce Designs

August 28th, 2012 at 3:49 am

so ecstatic for you guys! Major praises. More prayers still coming! hugs to you!
    -Leah

41. .ambre.

August 28th, 2012 at 3:49 am

Praise the Lord from Whom all blessings flow! So excited and blessed that you've shared your joy with us!

42. Mackenzie @ Life of a Pint-Sized Mama

August 28th, 2012 at 3:50 am

That's amazing to hear! You have yourself a fighter! 🙂 Thank you Lord for your hand of healing! We'll continue praying for your little ones.

43. Ariel @ Dreams To Do

August 28th, 2012 at 3:55 am

YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to update all of us. You have so many people who love you and your family and we've never even met you! God is good! Happy thoughts and prayers continuing your way girl! XOXO

44. eliz

August 28th, 2012 at 4:01 am

YAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! 😀

45. Jacy

August 28th, 2012 at 4:03 am

Praise the Lord!!

46. Rachel Nicole

August 28th, 2012 at 4:05 am

I've been praying for you! So glad everything's coming along better!
    Still praying…

xoxo,
    Rachel Nicole @ Summer Breeze

rachyracheshobbycorner.blogspot.com

47. ilene @ muchloveilly

August 28th, 2012 at 4:06 am

this made my heart so happy. God is so good, friend! xo

48. harmonybatham

August 28th, 2012 at 4:13 am

I have happy tears in my eyes right now for you! I'll keep praying for sweet little Apple and the rest of your little family too

49. Leslie @ top of the page

August 28th, 2012 at 4:22 am

can't even read the rest of the post, my eyes are filled with tears. so joyful for you. what a precious start to apple's story…i love that you are getting to meet her in this way. she has certainly missed you this week. hugs, beautiful.

August 28th, 2012 at 4:38 am

OH YAY!!! is all i can say, so overwhelmed with joy and relief for you guys! Its so nice to hear that your family is so very loved. Its even better to hear that there is still so much good in this world, if people just come together and make it happen.
    xoxoxo Lissa

51. Darcie Santoyo

August 28th, 2012 at 4:42 am

I'm so happy for you guys. Can't wait until everyone is home and well. God is so good!

52. Kate Eschbach

August 28th, 2012 at 4:44 am

Praying for you guys!

53. Erin

August 28th, 2012 at 5:02 am

So, so happy to hear this 🙂 Praise God! Happy for you mama!

54. Jennjilla

August 28th, 2012 at 5:22 am

Big prayers, momma. Just found your blog, and I'm so sorry for all the crazy things happening to you right now! I will keep your family in my thoughts!

55. Mich

August 28th, 2012 at 5:30 am

I'm so happy to hear this good news! She is beautiful and I will be praying for her quick recovery so you can take her home!

56. Becky [Apples of Gold]

August 28th, 2012 at 5:33 am

That is such good news!! I'm so glad to hear things are going so much better! God is good and He has you all in the palm of His hand. Much love to you and your loves! … Can't wait to hear MORE good news in the upcoming days! : )

57. nthecity

August 28th, 2012 at 5:49 am

Our God is good!

58. bethanygp

August 28th, 2012 at 5:49 am

Your story is incredible! God has been holding your family in his hands the entire time and is taking care of all of you. I'm so glad He has blessed your older two and that they're home now. And also that Apple is improving! I hope he continues to bless you and that she can come home soon so that your family will finally be all together.

59. Lulu

August 28th, 2012 at 6:25 am

So happy for you guys!
    Only th best things from now on:)

Lulu x x

60. Drea

August 28th, 2012 at 7:23 am

That is so awesome! what a blessing.

61. J+H @ Beyond The Stoop

August 28th, 2012 at 10:56 am

Congrats!! Little Apple will be home in no time 🙂

62. Health, art, and the girl gamer

August 28th, 2012 at 11:05 am

I am so sorry for what you and your beautiful family have gone through in the past few days, and DELIGHTED things have gotten better!! I know how scary asthma can be, as my husband had it ( thankfully he no longer does, as we discovered, on our own, he developed a severe allergy to gluten-no gluten, no more asthma). You and your family deserve the very best and I am so grateful you share your story with us all.

August 28th, 2012 at 11:34 am

God is good!

64. Bree Holloway

August 28th, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Yay! I'm soso happy for you. God is so good. <3

65. The Maxell's

August 28th, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Fabulous news! I will continue to keep you & your family in my prayers 🙂

66. JWorthLow

August 28th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

So glad to hear that things turned around for you! I just can't even imagine being in the postition you are and your strength is outstanding! Love and prayers are being sent your way 🙂

67. Jessica @ jessicaNdesigns

August 28th, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I always get tears reading your posts. I am so happy for you!! I am so thankful you can nurse! I know what an amazing experience that is! 🙂 God bless you Casey!

August 28th, 2012 at 12:39 pm

so so happy to hear! God is so good!

69. Kelsey Elizabeth

August 28th, 2012 at 12:56 pm

so good to hear! praying for you and your sweet babies casey, thank you for sharing!

70. The Smore's

August 28th, 2012 at 1:00 pm

So many blessings! So happy things are looking up for you!! xoxox

71. Bridget

August 28th, 2012 at 1:07 pm

yes yes yes. love this news. love that you can nurse her. love that she's almost home!

72. Andrea Cerqua

August 28th, 2012 at 1:14 pm

What great news! Precious Apple will be home in no time! It's amazing how in a time of need so many people can rally around and make it all seem OK, you deserve it, you all do. We're all keeping you in our thoughts and prayers!

xoxo andrea

August 28th, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I am so happy for you guys! I teared up when I read that you were able to nurse her. God is so GOOD!

74. My name is Wendi.

August 28th, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Yay! Thank you for sharing with us! So excited for you guys!

75. Debby

August 28th, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Look at that sweet little face. She is adorable…..so glad things are getting better. Its so nice to have such good support. Soon you will all be home.

76. Kristin

August 28th, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy 😀 Thank you Jesus for answering so many prayers! I am so overwhelmed reading this today..I just love it when God shows up and reminds us how un-faling his love is for us all. So happy for you little Mama. Lot's of Love xo

77. Ronni

August 28th, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Can't wait til you can take your sweet Apple home with you! <3

78. Kendra // The Darling Blog

August 28th, 2012 at 3:00 pm

That's amazing! I'm so glad she's doing well. She's so cute, you guys have such a beautiful family… very blessed!

– Kendra thedarlingblog.com

August 28th, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Congratulations, much love and prayers going up for you all!! Unrelated, you looked amazing pregnant. AMAZING.

80. astr!d

August 28th, 2012 at 3:25 pm

that is amazing!!! and im sure you will bc yall are photo crazy 🙂 but get a picture of you nursing her! to share or not to share, doesnt matter- just capture that precious moment since you didnt get to nurse the other two babies! this is all so exciting, god is great and i know you are both so thankful!!!

81. Sarai McDowell

August 28th, 2012 at 3:27 pm

God is so good. 🙂
    I am so happy for you!
    I just sent my family the "Apple Update" email 🙂
    We will continue to pray for your family!

xoxoxoxo
    Sarai

82. Natalie | Mrs. Janney |

August 28th, 2012 at 3:38 pm

What wonderful news!! I am so glad your day was leaps and bounds better. I'm still praying little Apple gets to come home SOON!!

83. Lottie

August 28th, 2012 at 3:42 pm

i am so happy for you! what good news!

and it keeps my faith in human beings that such generosity and thoughtfulness stil exists 🙂

84. brittany kuhn

August 28th, 2012 at 5:09 pm

thats awesome!!! SO happy for you guys…God is answering all the prayers!!! can't wait til your taking her home

85. Morgan

August 28th, 2012 at 5:43 pm

that's awesome, congrats! and you're such a cute pregnant person #aspiration

86. Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny

August 28th, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Ohh this is wonderful!!!! I'm SO happy to hear good news, I've been thinking about you all so much!! xoxo

87. brittany

August 28th, 2012 at 5:57 pm

praise God for good news!!

88. JessicaLynn

August 28th, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Oh the power of prayer god is so good. I'm so happy that things are getting better for your family. I wish I lived closer to help out but I'll just stay here and keep praying because god will help you more than I ever could.

89. Brandy

August 28th, 2012 at 7:56 pm

She is adorable Casey! So glad all the kiddos are getting better. I hope she gets to come home real soon.

90. Melissa Blake

August 28th, 2012 at 8:38 pm

i've just been reading your birth story. My thoughts are with you and your family!

91. rebecca

August 28th, 2012 at 9:24 pm

That is such amazing news!!! Our little man also came home from the NICU on oxygen and thankfully a year later you'd never know. Incredible she took to nursing! He also wouldn't nurse until he was 3 1/2mths old due to his rough start & NICU stay. So happy for you and her. Praying all continues smoothly for your family and that Apple is soon hope with you guys!

92. teeny

August 28th, 2012 at 11:54 pm

overwhelmed with joy for you. and, ps, most beautiful pregnant woman EVER. thank you for sharing xoxoxo sending all my prayers your way…

mylettchronicals

93. lori

August 29th, 2012 at 2:15 am

awwww sooo happy for you and apple! keep it up, mama!

94. Jelli

August 29th, 2012 at 2:15 am

How exciting. What a mighty God we serve indeed! So glad to know that you've been taken care of by the love of HIM and others this week. May that sweet girl come home soon.

95. Clare

August 29th, 2012 at 2:23 am

I read this and was overcome with emotions for you. Such relief, such happy news! The light after the dark. I keep praying for your beautiful family xo

August 29th, 2012 at 2:37 am

That is wonderful news! 🙂 So happy for you all!

97. Michelle @ Fashionably {L8}

August 29th, 2012 at 2:57 am

I am in love with your story and so very excited for you and your family that Apple is doing so well! You are one strong woman!!

98. Mindy Harris

August 29th, 2012 at 3:59 am

hooray for no more cpap, casey! praise the Lord and mighty is his name.
    the enemy can just take a step back. there is nothing but victory ahead.
    i'm so excited you got to nurse, honey. what a blessing. apple looks gorgeous with her little eyes open.
    a little angel.
    lots of love, my sweet friend.

99. kate

August 29th, 2012 at 1:49 pm

yay for happy news!!!

100. Katness

August 29th, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I'm so happy to hear that all the little ones are doing better and soon you'll all be home happy. X

101. Nicole Buckingham

August 29th, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I had no idea… and am so very glad that there has been a ray of sunshine peeking through the clouds for you. Hugs.

August 29th, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I'm so happy to read this! 🙂 I prayed for your family the other night after reading your last post.

103. Alyssa Lentsch

August 29th, 2012 at 10:30 pm

So happy to hear that sweet Apple is as eager to get out of the hospital as you are to have her out! Hope that going home isn't too far away! Congrats guys, God is good!

August 29th, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Happy for you : ) You seem like a strong woman and an incredible mom. I must say I admire you.

105. Cindy

August 30th, 2012 at 1:47 am

What an amazing turn of events! God is just so good. I'm glad to know you've been blessed by so many around you.

106. Aime Nagel

August 30th, 2012 at 3:55 am

Praise God! So thankful for blessings all around! You are still in my prayers!

107. Cara H

August 30th, 2012 at 5:39 pm

WOW How He is just pouring blessings upon you!!! Praise Him praise Him. This is encouraging MY faith as well! Thank you for taking the time to share, sweet sister. Thank you!