kid’s art.

This week for “on my heart” I wanted to talk a little about our studio… because, well- it’s been on my mind all week!

I taught as an art teacher for 4 years at a school. Only a bit of that overlapped with us starting A Little Artsy but I had developed my philosophy and my curriculum way before we ever opened the studio. The first year we opened I would teach all day at my school, then drive over to the studio and teach till around 8 or 9 pm at night. Then would run all the parties & camps myself on the weekends. All the while Chris was working fulltime on his film/photography with his office in the back of the studio.

A Little Artsy’s philosophy is simply, “process not product”. We wanted to create a safe, fun atmosphere that not only gave kids the ability to use their creativity and imagination but also a place where they would be loved and their confidence would be built up. A good majority of the projects in my curriculum are abstract versions of the original idea. The reason behind this is- if we are all painting silly, abstract horses…it takes the pressure off. You don’t have to have a “perfect” horse and somewhere along the way with this philosophy the kids really start to blossom and their creativity just explodes.

We are really excited about our move into The Children’s Center. Partnering with a school is ideal for us right now because we will have a much smaller overhead, we have access to a number of new families and the security of a school promoting us.

It’s the perfect place to combine what we do with their needs.

It is a cool new direction for our studio if this year goes how we are hoping.
We would love to partner with small schools all over in need of art programs!

Here are some examples of kid’s projects from over the years.

June 1, 2012

1. Mindy M. Harris

June 1st, 2012 at 4:27 am

you are so smart, casey! love the philosophy of more abstract. being a perfectionist, sometimes, as a young artist (i drew ALOT in my younger days) i would always try to make it look like a real person, animal, flower, etc, instead of just letting my heard guide the strokes on the paper and relying less on the eraser.
    art is so happy and wonderful and i want so badly for wilder and story to enjoy every inch of it. praying that all your endeavors bring confidence and joy to many children. what a cool, cool job and ministry!

2. gabriellekamalei

June 1st, 2012 at 4:37 am

Your philosophy is great! Just reading this post makes me feel more confident in my artistic abilities (more like lack there of haha). Your student's artwork is gorgeous! I love it! I think you're doing something really special here 🙂

3. Jenny Bodell

June 1st, 2012 at 4:51 am

I love this!! They are very talented! so cute.
    jennybodell.blogspot.com

4. Abby (Diligent Joy)

June 1st, 2012 at 5:06 am

I am so in love with your teaching philosophy and I wish we lived closer so Harps could come to A Little Artsy. The past projects you posted here are amazing- so beautiful! Good luck in the new space!

5. Jo

June 1st, 2012 at 5:37 am

If we weren't in Singapore, but living in the same city you are, I'd let my son take classes at your school, for sure. I like your philosophy! He started classes at his school a couple of months ago but isn't enjoying it as much as he probably expected to. Oh well, we'll try again in the future. 🙂

6. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

June 1st, 2012 at 9:01 am

I saw this apple necklace and thought of you!! http://www.jewelmint.com/jewelry/apple-a-day-pendant

7. AW

June 1st, 2012 at 12:28 pm

This is such a beautiful, wonderful gift that you and Chris are giving these kids. I pray for continued successes!!!
    Xo

8. Torrie

June 1st, 2012 at 1:45 pm

What a great philosophy for an art studio.. I wish I had more art teachers in my developing years that had the same idea! Too many were focused on the end product and it discouraged me for YEARS from doing any art.

I love your blog and your little studio – what a blessed life =)

9. Jen

June 1st, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Wow, I wish I lived closer! My kids would definitely take classes from you. Great job Casey! Keep up the good work.

10. While The Little One Sleeps

June 1st, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I'd love to see more posts for inspiration about doing art with our little ones 🙂

11. Brooke

June 1st, 2012 at 7:12 pm

This is so great! Im so happy for you guys! And seeing all these pictures just makes my heart happy 🙂

12. Kendra // The Darling Blog

June 1st, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I love this! The art you posted is impressive. You had some very talented kids in your class.

13. Mandi Durborough

June 1st, 2012 at 8:19 pm

These are just so sweet. I love art made by kids

14. About

June 2nd, 2012 at 2:00 am

Wish we were closer- I'm certain my daughter would enjoy your classes. It must be so fun to roll up your sleeves and watch magic happen in the classroom.
    Have a great weekend!
    ~Deirdre

15. Amanda

June 2nd, 2012 at 4:58 am

so crazy, i just wrote an essay tonight on the very subject of art and creating! you are right when you say it is about the process, too. have a wonderful weekend, mama!

xo, amanda

16. JC

June 6th, 2012 at 9:03 pm

So very awesome! This may be my favorite post ever. Wish we were Texans, just so my daughter could soak up your inspiration at A Little Artsy!