kiddos.

I have loved working with kids as long as I can remember.
In highschool I spent my weekends and summers working at kid’s camps, in college I spent my summers being a camp counselor at Kanakuk.
I was also an early childhood education major so I spent all 4 years in inner city schools in Waco doing classes and a full year internship teaching.
Then I graduated on a Saturday and started my first job on a Monday…teaching “beginners” at a private school in Dallas….a classroom of 3 and 4 year olds.
After that I taught 3 years as the art teacher (same school)- that was beginners-5th grade.
Then we opened A Little Artsy and I was teaching 3 year olds all the way up to adults.
Now I teach occasionally at night when Chris can watch the babies.

Looking back, I worked just as well with the “angel” kids as the kids who got into trouble.
Something about me connected to them.
I could look past the behavior and see what it was really going on.
Teaching 30 kids in an art classroom….through the loud chaos and spills – I was able to learn from these little people.
It was wonderful.

And now years later I get to see my own babies doing these things.

And the mere sight of it takes my breath away.

January 23, 2012

1. Kassie

January 23rd, 2012 at 1:37 am

It definitely takes a special person with a special heart to look past things that are causing kids to act out and see whats really going on! Its an amazing thing!

2. JeNeal

January 23rd, 2012 at 1:37 am

I love this! How sweet!!

xoxoxo

3. Jill @myheartisyoursblog

January 23rd, 2012 at 1:39 am

oh my goodness casey! Your kids are so cute! I loved working with children before we had kids too. And I love being a mommy so much!

I wish I could get my son to paint without him eating it! lol. He is almost 2. Any advice on how to do that?

4. mai

January 23rd, 2012 at 1:44 am

loved this post. you are so awesome!

5. Maria

January 23rd, 2012 at 1:51 am

I can completely relate. I love teaching in general. I'm still in college but I work at a child development center called Gymboree and I absolutely adore the kids I teach.

6. Susanne

January 23rd, 2012 at 2:21 am

that's funny–i lived in waco all my life and now i'm in the dallas area! your art studio looks amazing–will have to stop by sometime!

7. Kira

January 23rd, 2012 at 3:45 am

Yay for special moments with your kids. I can't wait until my little lady is old enough to paint. Your studio is amazing by the way.

8. Gumdrop Swap

January 23rd, 2012 at 4:05 am

You have a new fan. I wish Dallas wasn't so far from Bridgeport, CT where I am. I would love for my daughter to create in your art studio. The arts played a huge role in my childhood. I went to art college and still paint (not as often as I'd like) today. Much success to you! New follower from TBB http://gumdropswap.blogspot.com

9. allie obannon

January 23rd, 2012 at 4:14 am

so cute! it definitely takes a special person to work so wonderfully with the kiddos.

10. kelsie fennell

January 23rd, 2012 at 4:21 am

I was a Kanakuk kamper and worked at K-Kountry six years ago! Fantastic memories!

11. Michele

January 23rd, 2012 at 4:21 am

Good stuff! Being a Texas girl, a lot of the places you mentioned are all familiar. I'm a teacher, too. And your kiddos are as sweet as can be!

12. Darby

January 23rd, 2012 at 4:31 am

I taught preschool for 7 years and engaging in art together was some of the best memories I have from teaching. It is such a special experience creating with little people. I love watching them create and explore new media. I wish I lived closer to visit your studio….It looks like truly a magical place. xoxo

13. Kristina Gulino

January 23rd, 2012 at 4:43 am

Darling, darling, darling.

Kristina
    Something 2 Write About

14. girl willow

January 23rd, 2012 at 4:51 am

My littles ones really enjoy painting, too. And I feel that art, of one form or another, is an amazing way to connect with children! Do you have a lefty? My littlest guy is going to be a lefty 🙂
    The pics are great!

15. Mae

January 23rd, 2012 at 5:06 am

Love this!!!

16. Hailey Marie

January 23rd, 2012 at 5:29 am

you have an incredible gift and soul~ amazing to see how God has grown your passion into a ministry!

17. KY

January 23rd, 2012 at 6:06 am

🙂 I loved this post. I, too, majored in early education and taught dance for many many years to children 16months+. I miss them all so much – I truly believe that I learned more from them than they did from me.

Have a great week! I look forward to meeting you in Dallas!

18. Helena

January 23rd, 2012 at 10:35 am

Dear Casey,

I don't know if this comment box is the perfect place to write what I would like to say but I'll try 🙂

I've been reading your blog daily and I love it. It's amazing how even being so different from you, having complete different backgrounds and ways to live our lives, I sometimes have this feeling that the things you write just came out from my own mind.

I'm brazilian, 32, currently living in London with my dear husband and no kids. The way you describe the way you see life, and how do you feel that you are too dreamy, and full of love and hope, and that sometimes the world pressures you to change what you are and believe till a point that you start doubting yourself only to later understand that your heart and love and smile are what you love in you and that you don't wanna change not even a bit of that. And that you wish you could change the world with love.
    I feel the same way. Sometimes I feel that my career choices are wrong because there is no space for a sweet smiley girl in a competitive corporative world.

What you do with the Little Artsy is amazing and I truly admire you. It made me think how much I love kids and relate so well to them and their special and creative way of seeing life and makes me feel that maybe this is the change I need to my life, being more surrounded by them. Babies are not in the way for my little family yet but maybe I could share my skills as a graphic designer and artist to other kids and help and be helped by them and their joy.

I'm not a religious person, but believe deeply that people like you (and maybe me, who knows..) are really blessed.

All the best, have a great week.
    Helena

January 23rd, 2012 at 10:49 am

this is so sweet! you are an amazing artis btw xo

pebbz|http://www.pebbzblog.blogspot.com

20. I am LOVD

January 23rd, 2012 at 11:05 am

I love your A Little Artsy place. I'm so proud to know you, Casey. You're so determined, you're not double-minded, you know what you want and you go for it, make it happen. You are quite an example to others of all ages.

21. Songbook

January 23rd, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I love your pictures- I love seeing your little artsy. It is so beautiful! I wish I lived close to where you guys go so I could take my baby.

22. Stephanie Leann

January 23rd, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Your studio looks so welcoming and cozy. LOVE how there's paint EVERYWHERE!

23. Francis

January 23rd, 2012 at 2:41 pm

They are so sweet. I love this post.

24. alignaChristina

January 23rd, 2012 at 2:41 pm

You just inspired me to have a craft and painting day with my 3kiddos:) Snow days make this possible!! Thank so much for sharing:)) And Congrats on your wonderful NEWS:))) I'm praying for you and your beautiful familia!!

25. Megan Lynn

January 23rd, 2012 at 4:36 pm

you have such a lovely blog, is there someway to access your archive? i couldnt find a link 🙂

26. Cassie @ Live.Laugh.L0ve.

January 23rd, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Such a sweet post! Your amazing!

January 23rd, 2012 at 4:51 pm

so happy you have one more baby artist on the way.

love you

28. Gawgus things...

January 23rd, 2012 at 5:36 pm

There is nothing more fun that spending time 'playing' with children! What a lovely comment from Helena too 🙂

Emma xx

29. Tara

January 23rd, 2012 at 5:57 pm

what an amazing talent God has blessed you with!

30. JessicaLynn

January 23rd, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Awe I never knew you were a teacher before. I was a teacher before I had my boys too, I'll go back to it when the time is right =]

31. ilene @ muchloveilly

January 23rd, 2012 at 7:30 pm

loved seeing these behind the scenes pics!

32. Mr. Taylor and his Lady

January 24th, 2012 at 12:00 am

it must have been incredible getting to see your beautiful children experience and participate in something that brings you so much joy. your family is beautiful!
    xo TJ

January 24th, 2012 at 12:28 am

awesome. love the pic of your cleaning the paint set…i volunteer at my church to school the 5 yr olds…always busy and fun! a challenge to feed those minds 🙂 little sponges 🙂

34. Clauz

January 24th, 2012 at 12:31 am

casey love your artsy!! I have a question for you what kind of paint did you used??

35. theolivetree

January 24th, 2012 at 3:03 am

I just read your baby news! CONGRATS! I wanted to let you know that I am praying for you and your sweet baby.

way to cling on the promises of God and not allow Satan to let fear set in 🙂

36. Jamie @ charmingly ordinary

January 24th, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I used to teach high school English and the "tough" kids were always my favorites. XO, Casey.

37. indie by heart

January 24th, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I couldn't place comment on the previous post for some reason, so I'll say it here ^^

That dino would be so great diy-idea for my nephews! :> Boys look so cute.

Really lovely blog find. ^^

Satu
    – Indie by Heart

January 24th, 2012 at 9:22 pm

adorable.. oh and congrats on the new baby!! I am praying for you 🙂

January 24th, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Your art space is dreamy & inspirational. I think its is as important for children to have art in their lives as it is to have books.
    happiness…
    dannelle@nestenterprises

40. Sarah-Anne

January 25th, 2012 at 1:55 am

So inspiring! You are such an amazing woman using her God-given talents to teach others 🙂

41. Heather :: AFD Jewelry ::

January 26th, 2012 at 8:43 pm

You're amazing, my friend.

And your kiddos are adorable!

42. Ashley

January 27th, 2012 at 2:10 am

so i text daily with a group of about 5 bloggers and MORE than once "the weigands" and how cute ya'll are or how pretty you are have come up…..so I had to come check your blog out myself AND….they were right! your family is so beautiful and amazing! so glad i found your blog to follow along on your journey! 🙂

43. Myranda Su

January 28th, 2012 at 1:34 am

Casey- I am really hoping that you read my prayer request. My cousin is 22 years old and was just diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.
    If you would like to learn more about Heather you could visit here:

Or commit to prayer through her facebook page:

We appreciate all of your prayers

God Bless

44. Lexie Loo, Lily Boo, and Dylan Too!

January 30th, 2012 at 8:35 pm