bub.

null

This is my “baby” brother Travis.
Everyone stopped calling him “bub” when he was about 8…. But not me :). I still call him
by his “baby name”.
I was the only one still yelling from the stands “come on bub!!!”

null

He is my only sibling and I still sometimes have to remind myself he is not 8 years old.
I’m 6 years older than him and grew up feeling more like a second mama than a sister.

null

Actually most of his life I have spent crying for him.
Crying when teachers were mean to him or if he got in trouble. Crying when someone broke his heart or hurt his feelings. I can remember crying in the baseball stands when he was in highschool bc a coach was chewing him out on the pitching mound.

null

I have always worried about him.
I have always wanted to protect him.
I can remember being a little girl praying “Lord give the blessings that were supposed to be for me to him”. Now I pray that prayer for Chris. almost every night.
I have always adored him.
And now here he is, just graduated from Pepperdine University and accepted his first job with the Kansas City Royals.
I’m so proud of you.
So excited to see you spread your wings.
We have been on different “stages” our whole life. When he was in 8th grade, I was in college. When we was a baby, I was in school.
When he was in college, I was talking about breastfeeding and nap schedules.

But none of that matters.
I am blessed to be his big sister.  and SO excited to watch you soar.

January 25, 2012

1. Elise Davis

January 25th, 2012 at 1:14 am

sooo sweet, Case!!!
    Thinking of you today from Singapore!

2. Summer

January 25th, 2012 at 1:19 am

I loved this….and you. Duh.

I pray daily that my kids have this same relationship, that no matter what stage or page they are on, they will always love and support one another.

3. ThisLittleMomma

January 25th, 2012 at 1:19 am

This is so sweet, I feel the same way about my 'baby' brother. I'm from Kansas City- congrats to your brother and his new job!

January 25th, 2012 at 1:26 am

so sweet and your little girl looks exactly like you!!

5. Amanda

January 25th, 2012 at 1:30 am

This is precious, Casey! I love it! You must be SO proud of him!!

6. catie

January 25th, 2012 at 1:39 am

I loved this post, it's so touching to me be ause I feel the exact same way about my little brother. Ironically, my little brother lives in KC, too! Kansas is awesome, we love it here!

7. Nikskie

January 25th, 2012 at 1:48 am

love love love this post. i have little brothers too. the youngest one is 13 years old younger than me…

8. Sarah-Anne

January 25th, 2012 at 1:48 am

That is so beautiful…the the relationship you have with your brother is something I hope to have one day with mine!

9. Someone In Mind

January 25th, 2012 at 1:50 am

Too cute.

You know you are going to now have a million single girls stalking your blog in hopes of catching a glimpse of your brother.

So fun. Love it.

January 25th, 2012 at 1:59 am

What a beautiful way to see your younger brother – I feel like a see my younger sister (who is my only sibling) in the same way…we're blessed to have that!

January 25th, 2012 at 1:59 am

12. Marissa@ Momma Rake

January 25th, 2012 at 2:06 am

O I love this! I feel the same way about my little brothers! They are 8 and 10 years younger then me and I wouldn't have it any other way! LOVE them beyond. It is so fun to watch them become men!! 🙂 XOXO!

13. Karly

January 25th, 2012 at 2:19 am

This is so cool, to really hear what it's like for siblings who are so much farther apart in age. My brother and I are only 14 months apart in age, and in all honesty we aren't very close. It's kind of sad, but we grew up in a strange household, so it makes sense we have a hard time connecting as adults.

14. Ms. Chianne

January 25th, 2012 at 2:32 am

That's so sweet! I feel the same way about my "little" brother. No matter how old he gets, he will always be my little brother. :)It's so good that you guys have a good relationship! And congrats to him!

15. modern Suburbanites

January 25th, 2012 at 2:36 am

gorgeous post!

16. Leesh

January 25th, 2012 at 2:36 am

This is a sweet post. I myself am a big sister. My little brother is five years younger than me. Sadly he is no longer with us but I remember that feeling of caring so much for them and being super protective.

17. Haleigh Barrett

January 25th, 2012 at 2:57 am

THIS IS AMAZING! I don't even know your brother and I am so so so proud of him and happy for him. Major league baseball! that's great.

He must be an amazing person. it's so sweet of you to love him and care for him so much. what a great person YOU are.

lots of love! <3 Haleigh Barrett

18. camille yanair

January 25th, 2012 at 3:01 am

um….can i marry bub?? 🙂 jk jk/ he's handsome! and very lucky to have you as such a great big sister 🙂

19. LeAhnna

January 25th, 2012 at 3:09 am

Ohhh, this is so sweet. I am working on having this same kind of relationship with my younger sister, so this just made my heart smile.

life in a nutshell

20. Along Abbey Road

January 25th, 2012 at 3:10 am

You guys are a good looking bunch! You seem like one of the greatest big sissy's in the world! Travis is a lucky little brother.

♥Abbey
    Along Abbey Road
    Sprightly So

January 25th, 2012 at 3:12 am

So precious! I'm just like you, oldest of two and I have a younger brother. You sound like you loved your brother a lot more than I did, haha 😉 J/K Love you case!! xo

22. Emma

January 25th, 2012 at 3:27 am

can you be my big sister?

23. saturated canary

January 25th, 2012 at 3:34 am

so sweet. resonates with me. i'm 8 years older than my brother. i love him like he is my own child…even though he is taller than me:). always at different stages of life– but somehow he always seems like that kid i use to snuggle. or play with in the yard. or sit with on the bus.

loved this.

and what a cutie– you guys have some good genes:)!!

xx

24. Mia

January 25th, 2012 at 3:51 am

Um…… is he taken? 😛 Just kidding!…. but really. Hahaha. I have an older brother, but sometimes I feel like I'm the older one.

25. the croslands

January 25th, 2012 at 4:02 am

SO SWEET. We call our 8 year old Bubby too 🙂 as a mama it breaks my heart that he will soon outgrow his "baby" name…and WOW!! What a blessing to have such an AMAZING sibling bond! i hope and pray that all my pumpkins will love one another like that. You are beautiful. Keep lettin' that light shine sistah! XO tiffanyC

26. Mrs. Osmond

January 25th, 2012 at 4:09 am

Hey just wanted to congratulate you on your pregnancy. So exciting. We just announced too and announced it through a sweet video my hubby did. I would love for you to check it out.

Thanks and love this post- baby brothers are the best!

27. Mindy Harris

January 25th, 2012 at 4:09 am

i can relate to this post, honey! i have a sister 5 yrs younger and i was her little mama.

all casey's readers: bub is just as handsome in person. 🙂

28. Shon

January 25th, 2012 at 4:17 am

So sweet. Our girls call our son, Bubby, Bub too. They love the bottoms of his sweet feet. Thank you for sharing.;) Congrats to your brother on his graduation/job!

29. Mr. Taylor and his Lady

January 25th, 2012 at 4:53 am

oh goodness, those baby pictures of the two of you are simply adorable! you are such a good big sister 🙂
    xo TJ

30. lori

January 25th, 2012 at 5:19 am

so very sweet. i love that you still call him bub. such a sweet picture at the end. and such an attractive family, all of you are.

31. Mrs. Baker

January 25th, 2012 at 5:32 am

cute post! my sister and i are 5 1/2 years apart, but still the best of friends!

32. Rach H

January 25th, 2012 at 5:43 am

that is so sweet!!! and love the comment above, i have a little sis! jk. i especially have to say how much i love your texas ribbon shirt from when you were little. i lived 4 years in TX growing up, and had outfits like that too! texas pride!!

33. kate@mammasoutofbounds

January 25th, 2012 at 5:52 am

i love this. my boys are 5 1/2 years apart (7 & almost 2) and i pray that they will be close. they adore each other now and i can only hope that they have this love for one another throughout life. thanks for sharing

34. Everyday Love

January 25th, 2012 at 6:05 am

This is how I am with my brothers. So far away in age, but so close at heart. And, I'm going to say what everyone is thinking…does he want a wife because I'm totally single! 😉

January 25th, 2012 at 6:54 am

I know this post is about your brother but wow… that prayer? Killer. I am going to pray it over my husband and daughter from now on. Thank you for sharing that with us.

36. Erin

January 25th, 2012 at 7:21 am

This is the sweetest post! 🙂 How exciting for him and his new adventure!!

37. Wynne Elder

January 25th, 2012 at 7:42 am

can't believe how BIG trav is! gosh, I remember him just being sweet little jr higher when we met! congrats to him!

38. Sarah @ Modern Country Style

January 25th, 2012 at 9:00 am

I love it that you still give your brother his baby name. I still do that to my baby brother too – even though he's married now! And he does it to me.

Family, huh?!! 😉

By the way, I am really enjoying your blog. It's a recent discovery for me (where have I been?!!) and I love your mix of different topics that you post about. Gorgeous!

Your newest stalker,

Sarahx

Sarahx

39. Jay

January 25th, 2012 at 9:49 am

I have a younger sister (I'm 20, she is 17) and I can't help but worry about her all the time. I still remember lying by her side nearly every night and rubbing her back until she fell asleep. And I had the hardest time accepting that I can't protect her all the time. Sometimes I'm stricter than my mum when it comes to boyfriends or going out. Now that we live 5 hours apart I miss her even more.

Love your honesty.
    Such a precious post.

xoxo Jay

40. Mary Hone

January 25th, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I am 12 years older than my brother, and 10 years older than my sister. My brother is now 6'3", boy he's still my "baby" brother.

41. Dana Frieling@ Make Them Wonder

January 25th, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I want a big sister like you. Will you be my surrogate? ha! Love the prayer you prayed.

42. Kristin

January 25th, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Hello from Kansas City! 🙂
    Love the blog, so sweet.

43. Lovingthyself

January 25th, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Ohh Casey!!! You are such a beautiful person. Thank you for that prayer reminder. With 2 older girls 12 & 10 and a surprise blessing baby boy 19 months ago, I can only pray for that bond.

January 25th, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I love the name! My mom's brother is still called Bub and he is in his 60's:) He has always been Uncle Bub to me and my sister. Do you kids call your brother Uncle Bub? Never knew anyone else that uses this name. Thanks for sharing.

45. Erin

January 25th, 2012 at 3:46 pm

What a sweet sweet letter to your Bub?! Gave me goosies. I don't have siblings or even kids yet for that matter but I hope when I do one day, they have a special bond as you two do. Thanks for sharing:)

46. Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny

January 25th, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Awww I JUST love this! Me and my brother are 6 years apart too and I feel the exact same away about him 🙂 We're unbelievably close and this just touched my heart, beautiful! xo

47. Kristin

January 25th, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Casey I can see you as a big sister 😀 And what a blessing to have a brother that you have a great relationship with. I've always wanted a brother. Maybe you could share yours with me? 😀 lol
    I can see why your so proud of him, it sounds like he's already accomplished some great things.
    Wonderful post as always my sweet friend! xoxoxo

48. james, kaylen & bro

January 25th, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I'm from KC! In case your baby brother doesn't know much about KC, tell him to move to Prairie Village, Waldo or Brookside area. I promise, this is where he will want to live. These neighborhoods are full of young people, old trees, awesome little homes, parks to walk to, everyone is outside…and it would be maybe a 15 min drive for him to get to the stadium.
    DO NOT let him live in Independence where the stadium is…it's a run down suburb with a lot of crime.
    Let me know if he needs any help or advice!

49. Elizabeth Benfield

January 25th, 2012 at 4:13 pm

i am 6 yrs older than my brother as well and know exactly what you mean. my brother was diagnosed as bipolar a few years ago and he struggles constantly. my heart breaks for him and what he deals with daily. i pray that he will always seek to be closer to God because He has such amazing plans for this man i call brother.

may God bless you and yours!!!!

50. Danielle

January 25th, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I love love love this post!! I have 3 brothers and they are the best! This warms my heart how much you love your brother!! xo

51. Shannon :: The Scribble Pad

January 25th, 2012 at 4:54 pm

what a sweet, sweet post! we called my little brother "bubba" so from the very beginign this post tugged at my heartstrings. love how proud you are to be a big sister!

52. Redheaded Daybook

January 25th, 2012 at 6:23 pm

congrats to your little brother 🙂
    and this post is simply sweet.

53. Franchesca

January 25th, 2012 at 7:53 pm

that is amazing Casey, oh I know you must be SO proud!! I loved reading about your love for your brother.

54. The Cantelmo Family

January 25th, 2012 at 8:08 pm

You are a sweet big sister!

55. Mummy Daddy and Me makes Three

January 25th, 2012 at 8:17 pm

This is beautiful- my little sister is 10 years younger than me and I feel the same about her. xx

56. Jenafur

January 25th, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Beautiful post. There's so much love in your family and it's so wonderful to have that feeling.

57. theolivetree

January 25th, 2012 at 10:18 pm

super sweet! I love what you wrote … my daughter can not stand when my son gets in trouble ( which is often…lol) She cries and comforts him…just like you did!

58. Lace

January 26th, 2012 at 12:43 am

"Lord, give the blessings that were supposed to be for me to him." Wow. I needed this. I need to want this for my husband. I need to pray this daily. Thank you.

59. Amy

January 26th, 2012 at 4:15 am

such a sweet post. I have an older brother who still wants to protect me. I love him dearly. I see my son (bub also) doing this to his little sister and it melts my heart. Going to keep that prayer in mind. Love it.

Yay for the Royals! I am from KC…maybe he can bring some wins for us!

60. Alison

January 26th, 2012 at 6:43 am

Aww, little brothers sure are special. Mine is five years younger than I am. Congrats to your brother. I hope he enjoys Kansas City and settles in well. I grew up here, and I LOVE it. We have good food (barbecue, for sure, but not just barbecue), GREAT ART, loyal sports fans, and lots to do and see.

Alison 🙂

61. Erin

January 26th, 2012 at 7:15 am

what a precious relationship you have with your brother! i love how you write, casey, and your sweet and sensitive heart. you are precious! congrats to you brother 🙂

62. Bridget

January 26th, 2012 at 12:39 pm

so sweet casey. so sweet.

and he's totally handsome. and a pepperdine grad? you already know that this makes me totally jealous.

in another life, i went to pepperdine.

63. Kassi at Truly Lovely

January 26th, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I've always felt the same way about my younger brother. He's only just under two years younger than me but was only a year behind me in school. I cried when he got in trouble when we were little! It's a special bond between a brother and a sister.

64. Heather :: AFD Jewelry ::

January 26th, 2012 at 8:42 pm

This is such a sweet post!

65. Myranda Su

January 28th, 2012 at 1:31 am

Casey- You are such a special person. I admire you greatly and sometimes I just feel that we are kindred souls. I love your sensitive heart. Please join me in praying for my young cousin who was just diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.

We greatly appreciate all prayers.

God Bless

January 28th, 2012 at 1:40 am

he's soo cute! Is he single?! 😉

67. Kristen Duke Photography

January 31st, 2012 at 12:18 am

that is an adorable pic of his with the baby holding the finger…I love my little bro, too. thought the same things…

68. Brit

February 1st, 2012 at 9:45 pm

aw, Casey I love your blog! You are so amazing. I LOVE your spirit, your love for your family and HEART for Jesus! Thanks for sharing it with us!
    If your brother is looking for an amazing church in Kansas City, tell him to look into Redeemer Fellowship. I'm from KC and its a great church! I've been there a little over two years now. They are still growing, but God is doing great things! There isn't a Sunday I don't walk away spiritually fed and challenged. Let me know if you'd like more info 🙂